Monday, September 19, 2011

Do You Want to Save Some Money on Laundry Soap?

When we visited Minnesota this summer, one of our friends told me: I am making my own laundry soap and I save a lot of money.  She told me the basic ingredients but I didn’t write them down.  Then I remembered that I had watched a TV program where a big family also made their own soap.

To say the least, I was interested.  I looked up different recipes  on the internet and made my own soap:

Recipe for 64 loads of home-made laundry soap:

1 cup grated soap (you can use any left-over bar soap and grate it on the kitchen grater), or 1/3 bar Fels Naptha utility soap

½ washing soda (from Arm and Hammer; NOT baking soda)

½ cup borax powder

 2-gallon bucket

Heat 6 cups of water and melt 1 cup grated soap until well dissolved.  Add ½ cup washing soda and ½ cup borax, stir to resolve.  Remove from heat.  Pour 4 cups of hot water into the 2 gallon bucket.  Add soap mixture and stir.  Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir (makes a total of 32 cups or 2 gallons liquid).

Let soap sit for about 24 hours to make it gel.  Put detergent into covered containers like mason jars or empty detergent bottle.  Use ½ cup per load.

Here is a step by step approach in pictures from the Family Homestead.

Your laundry will be clean and have a fresh smell, without any fragrance.  For white clothes to be whiter, you can add ¼ - ½ tsp. of bluing liquid.

By drying your clothes with dryer balls,  you can avoid any softener additions since the balls take away static cling.  I bought mine for less than $5.00 at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

As for the cost of the laundry soap:
1 box of washing Soda (55oz.)  $3.09
1 box of Borax Bleach (76oz.)   $4.19
1 bottle of Mrs. Stewarts Bluing liquid (8oz.)  $2.69
soap left-over $0.03
total $10

For 10 dollars I have soap for 64 loads of laundry plus the many more mixtures I will concoct in the future.  According to the Family Homestead website it costs about 1 penny per load compared to 15 cents of the average bought detergent.

How’s that for saving money?

No comments: