Monday, April 15, 2013

The Benefits of Vitamin D – the Sunshine Vitamin


With the beginning of spring, I realized how much I craved sunshine.  I like to work in my garden in the early spring when it’s not so hot yet outside.  Temperatures between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit work best for me.

During the winter months I followed my doctor’s advice and take 5,000 mg of Vitamin D3 in pill form.  Obviously the exposure to natural sunlight (avoiding the mid-day hours) is the best, but our climate here in Ohio does not allow too much outdoor activities during the colder months.

 

What is Vitamin D good for?

Most importantly it promotes calcium absorption in the intestines which is crucial for bone building.

Vitamin is also significant for the immune system and prevents colds and flu during the colder seasons.

It is also crucial in preventing inflammation in the body.

Vitamin D is essential in preventing cardiovascular disease, respiratory illness, and even cancer. Another critical factor for enjoying natural sunshine is that it enhances our moods.   When I step out into my yard when the sun shines, I feel immediately uplifted and happy.  Low levels of Vitamin D can cause depression, fatigue, and mood swings.  Sufficient levels of Vitamin D increase Serotonin  
 
 

Unfortunately, there are very few foods which contain Vitamin D.  When I was a child my mother made us take Codliver Oil during the winter.  Today, milk is enhanced with Vitamin D as are some other foods.

As we are starting the warmer season, the best bet is to get outdoors and enjoy both sunshine and fresh air.

No comments: