Monday, March 3, 2014

After the Winter

Last week, when the snow finally melted, I was walking in the back yard.  I was watching my step since it was still very muddy back there.  Looking down, I discovered a small twig which I recognized:
it had fallen off my hands last fall after I had cut the forsythia bush in the front yard.  I picked it up and looked at it more closely; since I saw some swollen buds on it, I decided to take it inside and put it into water. 

Within a few days I could see that the buds had grown and within a week the yellow flowers came out. 

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.”
~ Albert Camus, French author and poet

That is totally amazing to me, since it had been cut off from the bush for more than five months.  Since the twig was covered with snow it was kept moist and the cold just kept it dormant until I brought it inside.  The life force in that branch was still alive. 

I call this my little miracle.
 
That's what the rest of the bush looks like as of today.
 

1 comment:

Sr. Ann Marie said...

I would definitely see that as a miracle! How lovely! To me it says something about the human spirit as well! Thank you for a beautiful meditation.