Monday, September 9, 2013

How to Be Intimate with God?


 
It is the desire and the goal of all believers to experience the presence of God.  Such faith goes beyond religion and denomination. 

I have been reading a book called “The Practice of the Presence of God” by Brother Lawrence (1605-1691).
 
"We ought not to grow tired of doing little things for the love of God, who regards not the greatness of the work, but the love with which it is performed."
~ Brother Lawrence
 
As the story goes, he was born, Nicholas Herman in France in the 17th century.  He worked in the kitchen of a monastery because of injuries he had suffered during the 30-year war.  While working he continued praying and practicing to include God in every aspect of his life.  He became so proficient in his practice that people came from near and far to ask for his advice and testimony.

I know from my own personal experience that it is in the present moment (NOW) when I can meet with God.  That’s the instant when my mind and body are united and my mind is totally aware of God’s existence.  In that split second the Universal Prime Energy which is God, the Creator of all things, can manifest in me.  S/HE is also the absolute reality, eternal, self-existent and transcendent of time and space. The fundamental energy of God's being is also eternal, self-existent and absolute. It is the origin of all energies and forces that allow created beings to exist. We call this fundamental energy universal prime energy.
 
All it takes on our part is to be aware of God’s presence, sending some thoughts his way, feeling grateful, appreciating the warmth of sunshine, enjoying a delicious food, etc.

One time I was driving home from shopping.  There was an obstruction on the road and the traffic was halted completely.  Rather than complaining, I thought, oh, this is a good opportunity to think of God.  That very reflection gave me a wonderful feeling of the presence of God.

Another time I was taking a shower.  I was stiff from sleeping and really enjoyed the warm water.  As it trickled down my body, the thought came to me, that a person like me, with no special qualifications and talents could meet the Messiah.  Nobody in my family has a clue or interest in what I have learned from Him in the past 40 years.  That very idea washed away my pain for the time being and I was completely refreshed to start the day.

When I was visiting with my daughter the other day, she said, Mom, you have to try this peach.  It came from a farm stand nearby.  I tasted the fruit, and it just melted in my mouth.  It was perfectly ripe, still firm yet very juicy, and when I ate some of it, I felt deeply the love God put into creating this peach tree to provide us with delicious peaches.

Like I said before, it doesn’t take a degree to experience God’s presence, only some awareness and practice.  I hope that we all can experience God’s presence in everyday life, since nobody wants to live in a monastery or cloister.

No comments: